Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The new season beckons!


Well its that time again when we need to start thinking about the new season, our tackle and our tactics.

I'm thinking about spending a few days on the Torridge again in the spring in the hope of picking up a hard fighting Spring Salmon. Having looked on the Half Moon Inn website I see that it hasn't been updated since July of last year so I'm not sure what's going on there as I know it was up for sale. No doubt Charles will still be around no matter what happens and I just hope that the pub has retained its excellent beats on the river, especially Beam! The Torridge is a magical place in the spring with lots of wildlife to admire when you are fishing, including that big dog Otter that loves to fish at Beam in broad daylight. Also the bird song is phenomenal! What I love best of all is chatting at breakfast and the excitement and anticipation of getting a hard fighting salmon that day. Often the sun shines in Devon in early April as the climate is much milder there than here in Worcestershire and with the wild flowers just starting to appear, especially the wild garlic which is everywhere on the river bank and gives off a delightful aroma as you walk under the trees alongside the river, crushing their stems with your boots. Often the kingfishers are busy building their nests and there is always a Heron or two to keep you company on the river. There is nothing lovelier on a sunny warm spring day on the Torridge to sit down on the bench at Beam and have lunch, some nice sandwiches and a cold beer - brilliant and hopefully with some good company too.

As far as the Towy is concerned then I guess my first trip won't be until the end of April or early May but nevertheless I'm looking forward to it immensely. It will be good to catch up with my fishing mates John, Rod and Sandy at some point. I know Sandy has been poorly of late so I wish him a speedy recovery and I'm looking forward to sitting with him at his bench in Crewel and sharing a story or two and having a good laugh! I've put a few pictures in just to get myself inspired for the new season so I hope you like them. Get well soon Sandy!

John eagerly casting across Beam
The Half Moon Inn, Sheepwash
A fine Spring Salmon to take home!
Rod with a belter of a Spring Salmon
Taking a break at Beam
The Weir Pool at Beam - the best pool on the river
A fine Sewin from the Towy
The Towy - looking up stream towards Crewel

A fine Sewin from the Towy quite a few years ago


4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy thanks for your kind words not been to good this past week biopsy results sould be here in the next few days, trying to get my strengh up for fighting some of those sewin this year. You do take a lovely photo mate nice images take it easy buddy speak soon sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy - I am sure things will be OK and that you will be fishing on the Towy very soon mate! Rod and I have just booked a trip to the Torridge, as we do most years. Unfortunately John can't make it this year so I wondered if you might fancy filling his place, as although Rod is a great pal of mine he doesn't always let me catch the first salmon!? Also 3 anglers would fit the beats better too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew
    yes not long now before the start of the season can not wait. I to would like to wish sandy a speedy recovery and get well soon. lets hope for some good sewin and maybe a salmon to.

    nicktroutie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Yes, also looking forward to a trip to the Torridge again and hopefully a spring salmon, as it’s been a while since the last one, or was it two Andy!! I am also hoping to get down the Towy earlier this year, as some of the bigger fish run early and might even try during the day until the nights warm up a bit. Hope all goes well with the tests Sandy and you’ll soon be back firing on all cylinders. If in the meantime, and you feel up to it, I could pick you up for a trip to Sportfish in Reading or a run down to the tackle shop in Hayling.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others