Saturday, October 09, 2021

2nd day salmon fishing in October 2021 - Bingo!

I caught a 10lb salmon (or something like that) today on the river! I was chuffed!

The river height was somewhere in the region of 1.300m on the guage! Running clear and at a good height I thought that there was a chance of a salmon and I was right!

Yesterday I think the water was too high.

Today - well perfect! Accessing the river was not as straight forward though! On reflection I came dangerously close to disaster!

I spent at least 20 minutes, maybe longer, trying to cross the river. I thought I could get across but it turned out that where I was crossing was very deep on the far side! I was close to the far bank but couldn't reach it. This meant wading upstream in heavy water till I could spot a place to actually climb the far bank. Not easy! My back got soaked as the water went over my waders! Very scary at times but I made it eventually!

I didn't realise till later what impact this event had on me physically and mentally!

Fishing after a flood like this is not straight forward in any sense! Silt at the edge of the river becomes quick sand after a flood like this and is extremely difficult to remove oneself from. A couple of times I got completely stuck and only just about managed to free myself!

Last night I slept like a log - completely knackered! Today my lower torso and legs are very sore.

So this season I think I have had 3 sea trout ( 1 double figure ) and 1 salmon! I've also lost a few big fish too!

Watch the video here by clicking the link below!

kingfisher catches a 10lb salmon - Oct 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others