Monday, May 12, 2008

Gravel extraction - the story continues!

Rodney Byles has kindly sent me a piece that he has written which describes his findings and views on this very important matter!


It's not very often that I find it necessary to publish other peoples articles on this blog but this report is so detailed and informative that I felt it in everyone's interest to do so! Clearly Rodney not only shares my views but that of many others too, about the environment in which we live and the place that we all value so dearly - the River Towy!

The research that he has done, including endless telephone calls and emails has uncovered a great deal of valuable facts that we all need to know. Much of the views that he expresses in the piece are I am sure shared by most if not all of us! I am sure that you will find it most interesting and that hopefully it will stimulate further debate on this very important subject! Clearly the story continues!


'I believe Cerith may have already had a chat with the farmer about some Llangadog Angling Association Ltd members’ concerns the gravel/shale extraction is having on the water course and the creation of the bypass channel shown in the Google satellite image, which I believe was taken sometime last season in lowish water. I do not know if this is now an accurate picture of the area as I have not been down there yet this season. Also I do not know what response Cerith got.

As many members will know who fish this section the farmer has been taking out shale for several years and this area, has at times, resembled a bomb site with heaps and craters everywhere. Last season the bank of the main river was finally breached and over topped during a flood allowing the fast flowing water to carve out a smooth bypass channel and preventing anglers’ access to the bend of the main river.

The action of the farmer was recently brought to the attention of Environment Agency Wales. However, the EAW’s Flood Risk Management section does not consider the alleged activity presents a fluvial flood risk to people or property; therefore, no action will be taken by flood risk management. The local EAW bailiff also made a site visit and concluded that no enforcement action is warranted from a fisheries perspective. The EAW has advised LAAL of its conclusions.

I spoke with our bailiff after this and his first visit to the area since gravel extraction started. He told me that he believed the channel had been caused by “natural erosion” as he saw no evidence of gravel extraction. I would probably have reached the same conclusion had I not known the history of its creation. However, he did say that without any evidence of actually catching the farmer in the act of gravel extraction or photographs of his action, there was nothing he could do. But he was adamant that if he had the evidence he would definitely prosecute the landowner for illegally extracting gravel.

Our bailiff was surprised, that as the gravel extraction had been going on for some years, it had not been reported to him before, especially as some LAAL members who have fished at this location since unauthorised gravel extraction started, are also EAW employees. I couldn't’t answer that.

I believe the EAW appears to have abdicated its apparent responsibility. The farmer has apparently extracted gravel in contravention of the Water Resources Act 1991 and the Land Drainage Byelaws and understand he has not applied to the EAW for consent. I have requested to know what action the EAW will be taking to ensure compliance and prevent further gravel extraction and to repair the damage done to the bank by the apparent illegal extraction of gravel. I also believe the farmer has not applied to the Council for planning permission. Maybe Defra should be informed as this may come under their jurisdiction.

The farmer has put LAAL in a very awkward situation as LAAL rent this water from the farmer and would not wish to take any action that may jeopardise future fishing.
But it cannot be right that farmers/landowners can extract gravel willy-nilly and change the course of a river without any recourse from the relevant authorities. I can just imagine the fuss and uproar from anglers if this was on Llandeilo AA water.

If the EAW does not act to protect our environment it will just create apathy.'



Rodney Byles
Llangadog Angling Limited Member for over 20 years

4 comments:

  1. Cerith has responded to this matter on a previous post, dated
    1st May 2008. He says that gravel extraction has ceased but what about the damage that has already been done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:09 PM

    'It's very encouraging that the farmer has told Cerith that he does not intend taking out anymore gravel. Not so sure he should have done it in the first place though without the proper consent. Can anyone tell me if the damage done will prevent access to the pools and stretches on the bend of the main river when the water is up as it did last season. I suspect, but don't know for certain, the damage may be irrepairable and the river will now take two courses in high water and could only get worse. I do hope not. I notice from Cerith's comments that his colleagues in the EA were of the opinion that nothing much could be done. And there I was thinking the EA were supposed to act on our behalf as guardians of the environment and ensure all the relevant rules etc etc are enforced. For the sake of
    repeating myself it cannot be right that farmers/landowners can
    extract gravel willy-nilly and alter the course of a river without the relevant consents and planning permission. Let's hope nature will take its course and the river will repair itself and we all have a good season and Cerith catches a double figure sewin on the fly.

    Tight lines everyone.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:10 AM

    A friend told me about this website and through the Sea trout Forum I have finally found it. I am an OAP who fishes Llangadog water near Bethlehem and have great difficulty in crossing the river to gain access to the bottom beat; I also find it very difficult to walk down from the railway bridge. Mr Bowen has kindly allowed me to park my car on his farm which makes access to the river much easier for me. I have not yet been down the bottom beat this year but when I am down the river next I will mention this website to the farmer. It will give Mr Bowen an insight into this matter and possibly give you his views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To anonymous!

    Nice to hear from you! It would be nice to know your name. If you don't wish to register then just type in your name at the end of your comment! I hope you find my blog interesting and informative? Please visit again soon and join in the debate.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others