Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saturday 28th June - my first fish of the season!

Well, despite adverse weather conditions last night I managed to open my account for the 2008 season in reasonable style I think! I didn't weigh it but it must have been at least 4 lb and a good silver colour.



As soon as I arrived at the pumping station I could tell that it was quite breezy and in fact a couple of degrees below temperatures at home. In fact it was cold enough to warrant a fleece even for the walk down to the river. One good thing though it was cloudy and overcast! Having returned from Sorento in Italy on Friday where the temperatures were early 30's every day I found myself feeling decidedly chilly!

I saw 3 other fishermen in total, one on the Llandeilo AA water opposite and two guys walked past me to the very bottom of our beat. I don't know how any of them got on.

Fish wise I saw one fish of about 5 lb move just by the bush opposite where we sit and that was all. My excitement came in my usual spot, around the corner in the tail of the pool at about 11.30 pm on a 2" black and silver tube. The fish must have followed me for a while and only decided to take as I was about to start retrieving. It fought well and I landed it in the shallow water below. As I write this piece she is cut up into 6 steaks and is well and truly frozen! Can't wait until tea tomorrow! Poached sewin, new potatoes and broad beans - all caught or grown by me!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Well done Andy. Looks a nice fish and hope there are more like that still around next week when I am down and hopefully open my account.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others