Saturday, August 02, 2008

Tim strikes lucky again!

Tim sent me his latest report.

'I took a flyer on Tuesday night and drove over to Llangadog hoping that the showers on Monday hadn't done too much to the river. As it was, the river was up about 2 inches at most and still running clear. It was a dark, wet and at times extremely windy night. I saw fish jump as early as 8pm up in Crewil pool tail.
I fished at the bottom end and saw one or two small sewin jump. The river continued to rise while I fished (up about 5 inches by the time I left). The rise seemed to have shaken the fish, because around 1am I saw one bigger fish jump and heard an almighty splash from downstream - I really did think that a cow had fallen in - the splash was enormous. That must have been one heck of a sewin - pity I didn't connect with that one!


In the end I managed to get a 3lb 12oz fish on a Jambo - it took it like a demon and charged around the pool cartwheeling all the way. I have to say this was the best fight so far, even though I've had bigger fish - I really thought I'd hooked a double figure fish. I ran through the pool again with no luck, so had a coffee and a rest for 15 mins. During this time another big fish crashed in the pool. I tried fishing for it, but the wind became that strong that it became impossible to cast - as soon as I cast forward, the wind blew the line back at me. At this point I thought I'd call it a day - I'd been rained on all night, the temperature had dropped and I was a bit concerned about getting back over the river to the pumphouse. Would you believe it, as soon as I got back to the car, the rain stopped and the wind died away totally.

Anyway, it seems the extra water has got the fish on the move again and I'm looking forward to next week - I'm over near Manordeilo for a week starting Saturday and am hoping that the rain stops falling now, which gives me a chance of night fly. If not, I'll be packing the spinning and worming gear'.
Thanks Tim and well done! With the prospect of a whole week on the river I will expect some good reports and some fish caught!
Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others