Friday, June 18, 2010

No water - very few fish!

After a 2 day session on the river this week I am alarmed at the lack of water and fish for this time of year! I fished for 2 nights and didn't see a single fish. There is little flow in most of the pools which makes fishing the fly very difficult. There is no doubt the odd fish about but they are very few and far between. Strangely algae is not an issue! The only fish I saw was a lamprey as I crossed over the river below the railway bridge. It had made a hole about 300mm deep wich I fell into. When I looked back it was about to return to its nest! I spotted a Goosander with 8 chicks so there must be some fish around somewhere. The only successful fisherman that I could see was this guy!






The Goosander family taking a break in Crewel Pool. It is very difficult to get within range of them which is why the image is rubbish!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Andrew -see Seatrout Forum -absolute disgrace number of sewin the corracle & seine nets are slaughtering during this low water.

    The figure now exceeds 1400 officialy tagged & recorded fish -lord only knows what the true figure is.
    Not much food for the goosanders,otters,herons & at the end of the queue -us poor anglers.
    What a way to kill a river.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others