Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Monday 14th July 2008

Went down to the river last night hoping that the conditions would be favourable! Unfortunately they weren't!

The river was far too high for my liking, in fact, whilst crossing back over the river at 2.30 am the water was above my waist by a few inches! There was too much flow in most of the pools although the water seemed reasonably clear. The night was dark but breezy at times. I didn't see any fish at all. Fished with Dave from Swansea and Tim Wilkinson but no one got any pulls. I will try again nearer the weekend if the rain stays away.

Disappointing!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:51 PM

    Andy
    Just thinking it might have been worth you trying a very fast sinking line and heavy tube to get down quick and drag along or just above the bottom. I suspect a floater would have skated across the surface and the fly work like a drowned mouse!! If I was a Sewin don’t think I’d have bothered chasing a fly at that speed!

    Also might have been worth checking the temperature of the water as maybe there was some "cold" dam water mixed in which could account for the rise in water level as no rain I think. I've been meaning to get a thermometer as sure water temp affects the fishing just like it does for salmon and also the barometric pressure and off course the colour and then also the water level, air temperature and the moon…....shit are the conditions ever right!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod

    I really do think that dam water may have come into it and I made that comment to Tim as we were walking back to the cars! Apart from that though I would imagine that most sewin would have been laid up out of the main flow, heads down, sticking it out until the torrent receded. They're probably not very easy or down right impossible to cover in such conditions! Still, Friday night looks promising don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others