Sunday, May 21, 2006

19th and 20th May 2006





High water levels on the Friday 19th of May were compounded by heavy rain over night which brought the river up another 300-500 mm. Having slept in the car overnight I was quite despondant when I got up at 4.30 am to find the river so high.

Fishing was limited early Saturday morning due to the flow but I did manage to fish the worm for a few hours in a quiet back water! Later on in the afternoon things did start to improve with at least 2 fish being caught on the Llangadog beat that I know of. 1 fish of 6 lb I didn't see but a very fresh 10+ lb fish I got a picture of because, yes the story of my life, I finished up landing it for the guy. It had a tail like a shovel and it was as silver as can be. It was the perfect specimen. Both myself and 3 friends all blanked! Still thats fishing!

At the bottom of the Llangadog beat we were faced with 2 rivers and an island, a place where we normally fish in normal water levels but not today it was inaccessable! I didn't expect to stay so long on Saturday but increasingly the prospects looked better, however, I had no food left and no coffee. My life was saved by 2 good friends Chris and Cerith. Chris left some goodies for me under the car for when I returned whilst Cerith came down to meet me at the bottom end of the beat with some bacon sandies and coffee - nectar! Thanks both of you for being so kind and thoughtful. Well, at last from a fishing point of view things seem to be getting under way but I still have to open my own account this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others