Saturday, June 09, 2007

Double figure sewin lost at Llangadog!

In case you were wondering if the season is properly underway yet then I've got news for you all! Take it from me - it is!

Last night was magical for me! I now remember how I got hooked on sewin fishing in the first place. Although I have little to show for it the excitement was incredible. It only really lasted about 45 secs but I cannot think of any other sport or pastime that can possibly give me that kind of kick! None! You know what I mean don't you.

John started off at about 10.45 pm with a fine 2lb sewin on a 'rodders' special I believe, the last one that he has Rod! My first cast caught the fence opposite so I had to break it off. I then lost my fly box on the shingle (the second time I've done that!). I then caught a lovely 1.5lb brown trout, fat and firm, fought well for a little bugger!

We both fished hard but with no further success. We didn't see or hear any fish move at all. It went cool, not cold and at about 2.00 am John said that he was going back to the car because he was tired. So I bid him farewell and said I would be back soon myself!

I decided to go around the bend and fish the bottom pool so I put on a 40 mm black and silver waddington so as to get down in the water as the current is a bit lively around there. It wasn't long before I heard a fish move. Then I hooked and lost a good fish of about 3lb - 4lb. That got me interested I can tell you. All the time I thought I would get lucky.

I concentrated on the pool for quite awhile and at one point was joined by mum otter and at least 2 cubs! The tail seemed to be where I was getting pulls. I didn't think they were trout - not on a waddington of that size. It was now about 3.00 am I think. The next cast re-hooked me into sewin fishing with the fly! This is what it's all about - I remember now! 3 or 4 crap seasons had taken their toll on me but now, suddenly, that was to change! Believe me - it did!

A good cast, long and gentle as it landed on the water. I could see it land near the far bank and imagined it swing around to the tail of the pool. Half way across the pool - wallop! 2 yards of line were snatched from my grasp as I felt the weight of a big, seriously big fish! This was no 6lb-er, this was a double figure fish without doubt! My first reaction, once I felt the weight and heard and saw the fish cartwheel on the surface, was to drive the hook home. Just one sharp upward movement in the hope that it may stay on! Then, without warning, the fish took off downstream. The reel screamed! This is the first time I have heard my Hardy Angel do this since I bought it 2 years ago! There was absolutely nothing that I could have done to impede this run! Nothing at all. The fish piled off down river and took all of my line down to the backing. I ran down the shingle to get closer to it! I reeled the line back on to the reel, felt the weight of this monster again. Thump - thump - thump - as it rolled about! Then, then - the fish released itself. The fly came free! F.....g hell! Ba....d! I don't believe it! Yeh - I remember reacting like this before, maybe 4 or 5 years ago at least! I was gutted! Gobsmacked! Distraught! You know what I mean. What more can I say?

I carried on till dawn with no offers. I went to find my flybox that I had lost earlier but to no avail! Oh well, I thought I would look next week in broad daylight.

Back at the car John was flat out! As I started off loading my gear he woke and I related the story to him, concluding that I had given up on finding my flybox! He opened his bag and handed it to me. He had looked for it on his way back along the river and stumbled on it first time! This is the second time I have lost this box and the second time that John has found it for me! Thanks mate!

I can't say anymore about this other than that I am hooked again on sewin fishing - hooked again BIG TIME!

On walking back to my crossing point, as I was about to climb down the bank I disturbed a big fish that sent a bow wave across the river as it turned and moved across to the other side slightly below me! There are big fish about lads, there is no doubt about it!

Tight lines all.

2 comments:

  1. I take it that none of you relate to this in any way or can find yourselves able to respond! Sad! I don't just do this for my own records you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I always read your posts. This season does look better than the previous three or four, Hopefully it wont be long and we will all be talking about the large fish weve caught this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others