Tuesday, May 23, 2017

2 nights fishing but no fish!

I spent 2 nights fishing over the weekend. Sunday night was a perfect night for fishing. It was mild, still and fairly dark. I worked very hard for about 5 hours in the hope of picking up a running fish but I didn't see any fish or hear anything that would lead me to believe that there were any running fish. Sunday morning I bumped into Lance who was fishing the Car Park Pool. He told me he had lost a double figure fish on the fly in the pool at about 10.00 am! Sandy believed that he had seen a group of large fish near the Cattle Drink a few days earlier. My theory is that these reported fish were probably salmon. It would not surprise me if we see a significant increase in salmon runs as a result of the stocking programme that ended a few years ago!

One disappointing feature of our river this season is the reduction in width of my pool and the hedge pool around the corner on the bend at the bottom of our water! The pool has reduced in width this season by a couple of yards and could be as a result of the 2nd river flow which must impact on the volume of water flowing down the main river. The 3rd river once it starts operating will destroy my and other peoples favourite pools all because of the actions of one farmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others