Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day time fly fishing success at last!

John and I fished Saturday 13th September. The water looked good! A little bit of colour and about 2ft on the gauge and falling.

It was quite misty when we first started fishing. I kicked off at about 8.30 am with a 7lb sewin on a teal, blue and silver double size 8! John followed suit at about lunch time with a bar of silver 5lb grilse caught in bright sun light on the very same fly pattern! I lost another fish of similar size!



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Well done, two nice fish. John’s looks a cracker and very fresh. It just goes to show that sewin can be caught in the day on the fly, but suspect to be successful need highish water and at least 1ft above summer level and a bit of colour. I recall a 4lb sewin I had on a tube a few years back just below the tail of Crewil when the river was in flood and quite coloured. I think everyone else fishing was spinning at the time as I don’t particularly like cranking the handle!!

    Surprised with all the water we’ve had there were no salmon about or perhaps you were fishing in the wrong place! A local expert I know reckons when the river is up salmon hang towards our bank where we fish around the bush area and sewin on the opposite bank, where you were successful.

    Hope to get down again before the end of the season and try and break my duck!!

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Now that I’ve had a much closer look at the photos I’m certain John’s fish is a grilse, a cracking fish and very fresh by the look of it. So you had better get your rod out Andy and catch up as John and I have now caught Towy salmon!

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:22 PM

    What a cracking fish and a cracking picture! Well done all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others