Saturday, September 20, 2008

My report from the Golden Grove Fishery!



I have just returned from a days fishing at the Cilsane Beat at Golden Grove and thought I would report on the fishery for the benefit of any of you who may be considering fishing there.

I met the Ghillie on the bridge at Llandeilo at 8.00 am and he showed me the beat, car parking places and an outline of the river and pools. The water had fallen to about 300mm above summer norm so I was not overly optimistic of catching especially as it looked like it was going to be a sunny day!



This section of the river is slightly wider than the Llangadog water but has a nice mix of water with fast flowing runs and glides that looked very good. There is some canal type water that I would imagine would hold sewin well in the season especially under the trees or alongside occasional obstacles. There is a car park at both ends of the 2 mile beat and one in the middle and fishing is from both sides where appropriate. Fishing alternates from side to side so some river crossing is necessary which would be a restriction to the angler in high water I think. The canal like water represents probably about 40% of the whole and looks extremely good for holding big fish and for night fishing!

I fished all day in bright sunlight and didn't see any fish at all! There were Red Kites about though so there was plenty to entertain me. All in all I can see why GG has such a good reputation and I am looking forward to fishing again in early October.

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others