Thursday, September 25, 2008

If you enjoy this blog then please support me and be generous to the BHF!

I am cycling 50 miles for the British Heart Foundation on Sunday 2nd November! Please support me by giving generously!

WHY?

I am doing this event for a number of reasons!

I want to raise money for the BHF because without their support Mr Graham, my consultant, would not have been able to save my life the way he did, with the technology that he had at his disposal and when he did!

I was lucky - 2 weeks from diagnosis to CABAGE x 4! Mr Graham told me that my Aorta was almost blocked and that if it did block up I would be history! Fortunately I did not have a heart attack - if I had then I probably wouldn't be here now! Good enough wake up call, hey?

Yes it was a big big shock to me and my family! I owe my life to the forethought of Dr Horton my GP, to Mr Graham my Consultant, to the BHF for all their good work over the years and their part funding of the Cardiac Rehab Clinic at Kidderminster Hospital and finally to my wife and children without whom I wouldn't have survived the trauma of the operation let alone come out the other side wanting to live! I believe passionately that the BHF can and do make a difference to peoples lives! All the support from their publications, research, PR etc is vital to reducing the impact of this 'silent killer'!

At least two people who I have been close to have died unexpectedly from Cardiac Arrest! A long time friend of mine from work, who was about my age, had a fatal heart attack without any notice as such! He was unlucky! I was lucky!

I have a beautiful granddaughter called Sofia who I love dearly and who I want to be healthy and live a full life! I don't want her to go through what I've been through! I want her, like millions others to eat sensibly, exercise and be healthy without the threat of this evil killer hanging over them and I know that the BHF can help turn things around in time!

Has it affected my life? Before my diagnosis I was tired, worn out, lifeless, useless, knackered and more!

Now I am fighting fit, full of life, enthusiastic about my new job, mad on fishing, mad on photography, mad about Sofia, mad about taking my wife away for holidays and long weekends, mad about cycling, mad about my kids and their wives, mad about my allotment!!! MAD, MAD, MAD MAD!!!

Thank you BHF for letting me live, giving my kids their father back, giving my wife her husband back and most of all - giving my granddaughter Sofia a GRANDAD who would do ANYTHING for her no matter what the consequences!!

Sorry - gone a bit 'over the top but can't help it'!

By the way - a heart by-pass gives you back your heart a million times over!

4hrs - 36 mins to beat!!!

YOU CAN DONATE SECURELY AT

www.justgiving.com/andrewholmes1


PLEASE DO IT NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Yes a bit OTT but understandable. I always thought you were mad so nice to have confirmation!! The replumbing has obviously worked but done nothing to improve your fishing!! Good luck with the bike ride as you can do my bit for the BHF as not up to cycling 50 miles yet.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on this post! Please make sure that your comment is respectful and not offensive to others